Thursday 25 April 2013

V = Virtual World


Virtual World – this is the place which has been my breathing window since last few years. Albeit, being a Computer Applications graduate I was introduced to emails and chatting in late nineties. But, those days the affordability of internet was a big factor and usage of internet was through dial-in packs of HCL & other private service providers. I still remember the initial excitement of checking emails and using Google search. Chipping in a li’l confession here – I even chatted in chat rooms with anonymous identity!
 Then, the fizz evaporated in next few years but like everyone else I also got introduced to the virtual socio circle with Orkut. After getting used to posting scraps and writing testimonials, I found a new addiction in Facebook.
Initially my favorite activity in FB was to search for various school & college friends with whom I have lost touch in real world and connecting with them via social media. FB also helped me to bond better with my n number of cousins. Yeah… I have lots of maternal first cousins whom I have met only once or twice in real life but our chemistry just clicked like anything in virtual world. We have a closed group in FB called ‘Bonded with Love’ and sometime we just chill out while having ‘adda’ via FB.
I also got addicted to various social games that FB offered and has been a passionate virtual farmer who played Farmville diligently while waking up in middle of night to harvest crops or feed animals. I even asked my hubby once to feed the pet dog in my farm while I am at work so that it does not runs away. I even found many like minded people who played these games and we traded gifts, fertilizers etc like maniacs. However, I stopped playing it once my li’l one was born…nevertheless my whole house generally looked like some farm by then!
As far as Twitter was concerned, I was quite reluctant to join it. Actually I was not able to comprehend the basics of Twitter till lately. However, finally I joined the band wagon. Although being an infrequent visitor there, I participated in few contest of Twitter. And whoa….I managed to win one sling bag, one t-shirt, one copy of ‘Those Pricey Thakur Girls by Anuja Chauhan’ and few vouchers!. But, honestly, I found it very taxing…it literally kills all your time. So, now I log into my twitter account just to know the news trends.
Another important aspect of virtual world which is a part of me now is blogging. I entered the blogging world a couple of years back (I know it is quite late), after my kid was born. I started as mommy blogger but soon my blog became a media to vent out my opinions, views & thought on everything under the sun. I made some good friends in this blogging world. I know them through their blogs and feel like knowing them since childhood. I evolved my parenting knowledge through so many parenting blogs and somehow give them the credit of helping me to bring up a kid in nuclear family setup. This blogging world gave me the exposure to so many novel aspects of life. When I made up my mind to participate in this A2Z challenge, I never thought that I can survive till the end, but now when almost it is nearing end I have started pondering about how I would miss the enthusiasm. I  feel so good to know so many diverse bloggers through this challenge and hope to keep in touch with them even after this marathon is over.
So, this is my tryst with virtual world..What about yours?
  

14 comments:

  1. Mine is so very similar to yours, except that I never dared open any Facebook games, because I knew what a time suck that would be!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My virtual story is exactly like yours including the virtual farming business!! :D Have quit FV to play another game HC but it is not as time consuming as FV. Blogging and the blog world rocks... I simply love this aspect of the virtual world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is also similar to yours. I was too addicted to farmville in FB but thank God I was back in my senses before it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. v similar except the games n the mommy part ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, of course Online I found so- so many people I had lost back in time. I am in touch with them now and gladly connect with them. FB is a boon that way. I was hooked on to FV as well but I guess I though I needed more. Maybe I was lonely then. After much time I quit and no longer play any online game accept some word games occasionally.

    Virtual world is great fun albeit its not real!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Except for the Farmville and other games, I have done what you have described more or less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even my office is a virtual world now. I dont really have a location. All I need is internet and a phone :) But my parents find it a culture shock when they find I dont really go to office but my wife does

    PhenoMenon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrey waah.. same pinch on a lot of things. I had started by blog way back, I cannot even remember which year :P But then I quit writing, because I felt I was not good enough and then recently came back to blogging because for me, writing heals, and it comforts me in a manner nothing else does.
    And now that we all are acquainted thanks to the AtoZ Challenge, we can easily keep in touch with each other.
    Three cheers to you and your great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After having read shilpa's blog, and now yours , what you say is true, i refrained from playing games, FB was good for me to get connected to some of my old friends, and ofcourse, a few old relationships, i do not use twitter and now I blog at my time, as time goes in managing my family, career and my daughter. I am happy for this A-Z challenge, I got so hooked, to this so much, that i keeping thinking about it 24/7 to get the blog post ready, but i must confess, i enjoyed meeting all of you ! thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you been spying on me? This could well be my tale. Damn, I have been around for ages it seems. Been there, done that. And then one day I sold the Ferrari, I mean Farmville. I have been sober since.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Almost the same...though I joined FB to keep track of my kids...now, they have to keep track of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I do remember those days of chatting with someone - the sheer thrill of connecting with a stranger across the world. Thankfully nothing bad came of our innocent fun. I do consider myself an addict but more on blogs and FB. Farmville is something I stay away from is Farmville! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have pretty well summed up my life except Farmville perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My story is pretty much similar though i have never played facebook games, and i haven't done blogging marathon..though would love to do it someday!!!
    Hey Nibedita I have shared a Liebster blog award with you, check it out at my food blog..

    ReplyDelete